Confidentiality of Student Records Policy
Canford Institute of Technology is responsible for the confidentiality of student records and following the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) . No information about a student’s academic record will be released to a third party without written permission from that student, other than the approved exceptionalities outlined the applicable Alberta Government’s privacy laws. Records may be released to sponsors or civil authorities conducting an investigation. Canford Institute of Technology’s instructional and administrative personnel, who have legitimate interest in the academic record of a student and require such information, will be permitted access to the student’s records.
Each student has the right to review his/her academic file. When the original documents are shown, examination is only permitted under conditions which prevent alteration or mutilation. Original documents may not be removed from the file, but may be copied. Access fees may be charged for special information requests.
Academic transcripts from other institutions, criminal checks, or other admission documents will not be copied and/or returned to students. As Canford Institute of Technology cannot verify that these documents have not been altered or corrected since their submission, students must request these documents from their original source. If students can show that they are not able to obtain their documents from their original source, a written request can be submitted to the Office of the Registrar through the form of an Information Request.
(Personal Information Protection Act – PIPA)
Information Protection and Access
The college will protect the personal information collected from students, graduates, staff and other business partners. All employees are required to exercise caution when disclosing personal information to others. Access to personal information is limited to the following:
- An individual accessing his or her own personal information
- An employee of the College with authorized access based on a legitimate academic or business need
- Any organization or person authorized by the individual to receive the information
- Authorized Legal Agent/Government Body/Representative under the circumstance where the College complies with the release of personal information,
- Individuals or entity as permitted by law where deemed to be necessary for reasonable conduct of College business
Data Usage and Procedures
- Canford Institute of Technology requires certain information about its students in order to serve them, to enrol them in a program or course, and to record their results on their academic file. Without this information, Canford Institute of Technology cannot accept an enrolment, as the College will not be able to create a student record.
- Canford Institute of Technology will only ask for only personal information, which will be required to process enrolment. This information will be kept secure, and will not be sold to third party.
Canford Institute of Technology will only disclose such personal information to third parties requiring the information for purposes of arranging external examinations, keeping academic records, or issuing certificates. Canford Institute of Technology will also make disclosure if the College is compelled by law to do so. We will only disclose the specific information requested
- If a student has any questions or concerns pertaining this to our policy, the student should contact the College for clarifications.
- Canford Institute of Technology may need to use students and staff photos for advertisements; such use will require written consent before such images are used, except for group photos taken during College events, and for which it is not feasible to obtain written consent for every person involved.
- The Canford Institute of Technology (www.Canford.ca) provides links to third party web sites. Our policy does not extend to third party sites, and we recommend that all Canford Institute of Technology students read the policies of these web sites. Canford Institute of Technology is not responsible for the privacy practices employed by third party web sites.